Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Growing Up

Viewing painful experiences as a good thing can be extremely difficult. Losing friends over petty things can either crush you, or force you to evaluate the situation you're in. This week I've realized that a bridge may have been temporarily blocked, but it hasn't been burned... and the detour could lead me to a better destination than my expected path could have. Right now I could choose to feel sorry for myself, or I could say, "Hey. Life threw something my way, I didn't see it coming, but I'm gonna catch it and make the best of it." Maybe this loss will help me overcome insecurities, and branch out to find people who will love me for who I am. That will be a beautiful thing! Having friends that will help me and not pull me down will be a huge change, but a good one. Most of the time I'm stuck in a rut and getting out of it is hard to do when you have nobody that can help you. The same people do the same things over and over and none of us help each other. This events of this week have only given me the hope of new things. These changes will be painful, I know... but they're necessary.
After sharing my heart with a few friends tonight, they gave encouraging responses. "I think you're growing up." That was exactly what I needed to hear. For so long I've felt like I've been regressing, and it was to the point where I felt life was going absolutely nowhere. Giving up seemed like the easiest response. Who knew that more heartache would cause progress? Maybe we're all just caterpillars battling to turn into that beautiful butterfly. A struggle is necessary for strength after the transformation, and we've got to view these trials as opportunities- not barriers.

1 comment:

  1. Who knew that past me could encourage future me?

    ReplyDelete